Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-27-2010, 11:35 AM   #10
Millane
The Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayMouser View Post
While some agnostics are in the "evidence's not in" camp, some are there because they feel the question itself is something that can't be asked- you can never get a satisfactory enough definition of "God" to have the question make sense.
I think they call the latter ignosticism, which seems a pretty good stance as well, but it does limit the fun
Quote:
There's been a discussion going on a few atheist websites recently about what evidence, if any, could make an atheist believe in God- some, like PZ Myers, flatly say there isn't any, there's always a more plausible explanation for any apparent miraculous manifestation
Does he mean there isnt any now, or cant ever be? we might as well call PZ Myers god
Do you know much of this PZ Myers bloke? id never heard of him before TGD and his somewhat clouded "attack" on it, to which i understood as 'didnt reference enough', to which Dawkins responded with some academic lust. My response wouldve been: you desire names, go **** a phone book...
Quote:
I'd put myself in category 6- de facto- I'm as much a disbeliever in"God" as I am in Zeus or Odin or Shiva. Should people be agnostic about those entities, too?
I dont see why not? thats my query, is there something wrong with being agnostic? I agree religions not much to worry about, and when i say im agnostic its generally to do with the God i conceive (or cant rather) thats beyond human comprehension... This god of mine thats beyond human comprehension wouldnt it be supernatural because of that? Dawkins says its just some Abrahamic God hes arguing against, but he does discount mine numerous times along the way... I also sometimes think im God, id love to see him prove me wrong hahahaha!
Quote:
Anyway, my blanket stereotype would be that atheism is very comforting - there's no higher judge that can see all of your thoughts, let alone your actions, and will hold you accountable for them, and when you're dead, that's it. Now that is very definitely comforting in many ways, and I can see how an atheist might want to not believe in an all-seeing, holy God because it's more comforting to not do so.
I definately find comfort in that, but i have met a few people that dont believe in god, but cannot abide the idea that death is the end. In regards of death, its more case by case regardless of the god-standpoint.
Definately agree with you that atheism is a belief, and i think those who categorise their atheism in no. 6 would call it a belief, them in no.7 id call deluded (or God!)