Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-11-2010, 03:42 AM   #11
GrayMouser
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by inked View Post
What happened in Afghanistan is the actions of a few radicals, so it can be excused, eh?

Then why did TIME magazine devote its cover and main story August 9, 2010, to the persistent and village approved mistreatment of women?

You may link here if you so desire to the cover and the article about how women in Afghanistan are treated in explicit rejection of multiculturalism. How many actions of how many few does it take to make such a rejection plain? http://www.time.com/time/magazine/0,...100809,00.html
Since no-one is excusing this, you might want to reply to what people actually say, instead of what you prefer to imagine they are saying.

Quote:
Is rejection of multiculturalism limited to these types?
But these people are not necessarily rejecting multi-culturalism.

Al-Qaeda are- they are universalists who think everyone everywhere should conform to their extreme form of Islam, but I imagine many of those same villagers would reply "If you want to allow your women to be degraded into sluts, that's your business. You don't interfere with us, we won't interfere with you."

Some countries, like Malaysia, even make this national policy- there are separate, much stricter, laws for Muslims than non-Muslims in their own society.

If you're asking this question, you have to distinguish what you are talking about. An extreme multi-culti would say we have no right to condemn these actions, any more than we have the right to condemn Christians in Africa for murdering children for being witches.

If the person committing these horrible crimes were multiculturalists themselves, they'd have to admit they have no right to condemn us for allowing the gains of feminism in our own society- the rights of women to vote, work, initiate divorce or control their own reproductive systems.

Quote:
Are there valid grounds for judging/discriminating between cultures and choosing one over another?

If all cultures are created equal, then how can you deny the right to execute those disagreed with (by however many) as a means of preserving cultural identity?

Therefore, I reiterate the thread title: multiculturalism, boon or bane?

My personal belief is that human rights triumph over multiculturalism- therefore Muslims or Hindus shouldn't be allowed to decide who their daughters can marry, anymore than Catholics, Mormons or Fundamentalists should be allowed to decide whether two gay people can marry.

I prefer our Western Enlightenment standards- the first country in Christendom to remove all discriminatory laws against Jews was Revolutionary France; when the Holy Alliance was established in Europe those laws were reinstated (which is why Karl Marx's father converted to Protestantism, so his son could attend University- no Jews allowed- blowback can be a b****h).

Liberty, Democracy, Equality, and Separation of Church and State- yeah, baby!

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us, cats look down on us, but pigs treat us as equals."- Winston Churchill

Last edited by GrayMouser : 08-11-2010 at 04:18 AM.