Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-13-2010, 03:43 PM   #1
EllethValatari
Elven Warrior

Tolkien and Iron

Okay, I know that Tolkien in now way wanted his writings on Middle Earth to be allegorical. As Patrick Curry wrote,

I am aware, of course, that Tolkien’s fiction cannot be reduced to his views. Nonetheless it is idle to pretend that those views are not in his fiction and cannot be inferred from it, together with his letters and essays.

However, I am fascinated by his use of the word "iron," I think that he perhaps used iron in a way that agreed with his disinclination towards modernity.

About two minutes ago I was looking up a quote to present in this thread and (for the second time) came across an essay by Patrick Curry, the man quoted above. He presents this fascination with Tolkien's use of iron much better than I would, so here is the link to the essay:

Click here

Any comments?
"We have come from God, and inevitably the myths woven by us, though they contain error, will also reflect a splintered fragment of the true light, the eternal truth that is with God. Our myths may be misguided, but they steer however shakily towards the true harbour, while materialistic 'progress' leads only to a yawning abyss and the Iron Crown of the power of evil."
— J.R.R. Tolkien

Last edited by EllethValatari : 06-15-2010 at 09:36 PM.
EllethValatari is offline   Reply With Quote