FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-22-2010, 12:55 PM   #22
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Quote:
Originally Posted by inked View Post
For all the rampant political correctness by certain 'Mooters, there is a blatant disregard for future generations on this thread that even I find DISTURBING!
I know, I was gonna say... it's rather irresponsible to say that you don't care about future generations. What if your parents or grandparents had said that about you?

But I disagree that anything on old machines would automatically be lost. Texts that people value will be transferred to newer data storage systems, and we're more than capable of replicating old technology if we really need to 'get at' something on an old system.

I also disagree that marginal notes would be lost... after all, it's likely that you will soon be able to go in and directly modify the content. Or the author might even be able to go in. Particularly for educational tests, an e-reader would make updating, correcting, etc. much easier to do. Rather than needing marginal notes, we could just go in and fix what was mistaken or add the notes we need to the actual text .
Tessar is offline   Reply With Quote