Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-17-2010, 03:17 PM   #9
Comic Book Guy
Best Ex-Administrator ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayMouser View Post
Yes, families can put a lot of pressure on you, but hopefully with time prejudice may be eased.

For example, my father's family was rabidly prejudiced against Catholics ( my father excepted), and would have been totally opposed to any of us marrying one.
When my cousin moved to Vancouver from Edmonton when we were about 12, we were walking along in my neighborhood when we saw a classmate of mine.

"Is he Catholic or Protestant?" asked my cousin.
Somewhat surprised, I had to think for a minute.
"I think he's Catholic," I finally replied.
"Then let's get him!" he cried
"What are you, some kind of nut!?!" was my astonished rejoinder.

(Turns out it was partly a tribal thing; Alberta at that time had separate Catholic and Protestant schools in the public system- in practice Catholic and Everybody Else- and there was constant warfare between kids from each system.)

So I was quite surprised when my mother told me that my aunt- that same cousin's mother- was thrilled when informed that my youngest son was an altar boy in a Catholic church.

Actually, I think it's due to the same process that has led to (most)Fundamentalist Protestants burying the hatchet with the Scarlet Woman in America- uniting in the face of the greater threat from secularism.

Sort of like the neo-cons rushing to the defense of gay rights because it gives them another stick to beat the Muslims with.
I don't understand this, they are lucky enough to live in one of the worlds few secular, industrial republics. Do they desire to overthrow the current government and replace it with an oppressive theocracy or something?
Comic Book Guy is offline   Reply With Quote