Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-22-2010, 04:01 AM   #1
GrayMouser
Elf Lord

Single sex schools

As in separate schools for boys and girls.

I teach a senior high school English composition class in Taiwan, and they go to all-boys and all-girls schools. Their schools are mixed/co-educational through elementary and junior high, then the academic/university prep. students go to single-sex schools for the last three years- grade 10, 11 and 12- while the commercial/technical/vocational atudents go to co-ed schools.

A recent essay topic was "Single-sex schools: for and against". We had a discussion on the pros and cons, and when the essays came in they were overwhelmingly in favour- the girls especially supported the idea.

I went to a typical Canadian high school, much like American ones, so I was a bit surprised (then again, these are the kind of 17-year-old kids who are sitting in a cram school at 9 o'clock on Saturday night).

Anybody go to a separate school? Thoughts?

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us, cats look down on us, but pigs treat us as equals."- Winston Churchill
GrayMouser is offline   Reply With Quote