Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-31-2009, 11:45 PM   #10
Voronwen
Lady of Andúnië

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar View Post
I just realized after reading what I wrote that it sounds like I'm making excuses... I'm really not. Just trying to be realistic and figure out if I have what it takes. I mean I know my friend does. He's incredible. But I listen to myself and I really question.... because I don't want to be stupid and go for it if there isn't a chance, you know? But at the same time... argh. I am willing to work so hard to get it, if there's a possibility I can have it...
I don't think you're making excuses. The fact that you're trying to see where you realistically fit in the grand scheme of things is important. As for having "a chance", i think anyone who works hard at it can have a place in it all. Remember it's not all about the Met. And not making it to the Met doesn't mean rock-bottom for you, either - there are many levels and gradations in between. I know of some people who are very happy having carved out a regional career for themselves, for instance.

I totally understand about your friend, though. I had a friend like that in college, too. She could do anything, from musical theater belting to full-lyric opera. She was a heavier voice type. When we did our Rosenkavalier scene where i was Sophie, she was the Marschallin. She was also younger than me, which was frustrating in itself because at the time i thought that all the older, "classier" roles would go to me as i was older, but what i didn't get yet at that time was that it was all about voice type (and body type, to an extent - i'm petite and look young). As a light voice, roles like Marschallin, the Mozart Donnas, Contessa, etc would have left me with a short vocal lifespan and a good candidate for vocal cord surgery Not worth it!

Quote:
I will say I'm proud of that... I've been working really hard the last week or two, and particularly the last five days, and I'm going strong as far as my music is concerned with learning/translating/etc.
Excellent I have a bunch of new stuff i want to learn too - all of it pre-1800
" ...But the Exiles on the shores of the sea, if they turned towards the West in the desire of their hearts, spoke of Mar-nu-Falmar that was whelmed in the waves, Akallabêth the Downfallen, Atalantë in the Eldarin tongue."

"Ye who believe in affection that hopes, and endures, and is patient,
Ye who believe in the beauty and strength of woman's devotion,
List to the mournful tradition still sung by the pines of the forest ... "

~ Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, Evangeline

Voronwen is offline   Reply With Quote