Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-11-2009, 11:59 PM   #11
Voronwen
Lady of Andúnië

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar View Post
I just noticed that it sounds like my vibrato has gotten RIDICULOUSLY fast! I didn't notice it at first because... I dunno. I don't think it sounds horrible, but it is definitely a lot faster than it used to be.
Unfortunately your clip didn't work for me So i couldn't hear it.

But my first thought when i read the above was, "Too much air!" Not as in 'airy', but almost like just the opposite. Try relaxing a bit. It seems like you might be holding onto your air too much. Just try it and let me know what you think.

Quote:
I was trying to make it over-bright in the hopes of letting it then slide back a tiny bit into a richer 'ah' later.
It's possible that this brighter placement was causing some tension? An overly-fast vibrato can be from tension, as well. Perhaps tension in the support musculature? I know you've done a lot of reworking with support recently so this could be it. Perhaps it's just an adjustment period that will pass. But don't mess around too much beyond your normal placement that you know works well for you. You can always tinker around with tone color for effects later on.

Quote:
My voice just sounds so... friggin'... annoyingly bright. I have no idea if it's something I'm doing wrong, or if that's my natural voice. It's certainly the most free and easy my voice has -felt- in forever, plus when I sing that way my E's and F's are a ton better sounding.
Hmmm.. It's interesting that you bring this up. I have experienced something similar. If my voice is placed too forward, the sound becomes a bit too bright, the vibrato gets faster... but when this happens, i also have stratosphere to burn With my placement in a more 'neutral' position (neither too forward nor too far back), and everything else in place, things feel better, freer ("with ease" ), but it's almost as if i have to kick into that 'brighter' mode in order to access the extreme heights. It's like flipping a switch. I'm not sure whether this is valid or not, and i can't wait to either find a new teacher or else get back with my old one so i can take in this question.

Quote:
GRRR! When I listen to it through the headphones it sounds too bright, when I listen to it through my laptop's speakers it sounds dark and throaty.
That sounds like it might be more of a a speaker issue than a vocal one.
" ...But the Exiles on the shores of the sea, if they turned towards the West in the desire of their hearts, spoke of Mar-nu-Falmar that was whelmed in the waves, Akallabêth the Downfallen, Atalantë in the Eldarin tongue."

"Ye who believe in affection that hopes, and endures, and is patient,
Ye who believe in the beauty and strength of woman's devotion,
List to the mournful tradition still sung by the pines of the forest ... "

~ Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, Evangeline

Voronwen is offline   Reply With Quote