Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Entertainment Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-28-2009, 01:21 PM   #11
Voronwen
Lady of Andúnië

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar View Post
I'm glad you're okay with your choice! Unfortunately I know too many singers who seem to regret having given up the chance at a career for a family... and I never really know what to say to them.
I definitely am. The mainstream career path calls for a lot of traveling and being away from home (as you know), and once i got married i decided that my marriage would be my first priority in life, and that it wasn't fair to my husband for me to be away for months at a time. I didn't think that was good for a marriage. Many people seem to do ok with it, but it wasn't for me. The only pang i feel is because of right now having to live so far from any metropolitan areas, the opportunities are so few and far between But my husband is considering a career change himself in the nearish future, which would mean selling our beloved house, but the bright side to that is that i'd be near the city again and free to do a lot more again with my music than i've been doing while here. It's all about choices, truly... often very difficult ones. It's best to pursue this while you're still young and single.

My profiles still say "aspiring", though, because while i am no longer pursuing a full-time career, i am always keeping my eyes and ears open for local opportunities and keeping myself ready for them. One never knows. Of course, where i live now (the middle of nowhere), most of the opportunities are for concert work, not opera. But that's ok. As long as i get to work with colleagues of a certain calibre who appreciate my background and what i have to offer, i'm happy with the occasional chance to do so.

Quote:
Yes, I am aiming for a career. Originally I wasn't because I thought I had no potential... but my most recent teacher told me that he thought I had some potential, and a guy I took a lesson from today (whom I respect very much) told me that at this point he thinks the only reason I would fail to be capable of having a career is if I do something stupid. So I have my fingers crossed big time and I'm workin' my butt off
GOOD for you!!! With that attitude, you'll go far!

You probably have a lot more potential than you think. Often we are our own worst critics. Listen to your teachers and those you work with (coaches, conductors, etc). They know what to look for, and if they're trustworthy, they won't steer you wrong.

Quote:
I doubt I'll ever sing a lead at the Met. or anything, but hopefully getting leading roles at some slightly smaller opera companies wont be out of my grasp.
Keep in mind that it's not about where you sing, but how well If you have a very good technique and are dedicated to a certain standard of quality and excellence, you will still be able to move hearts, whether it's at the Met, or at your church (or anything in between).

Quote:
But some people, and I like to think I'm one of them, are just so passionate about it that we couldn't see ourselves doing anything else. I went into music even though I was afraid I had no potential, which in retrospect is really stupid... but thankfully it seems to be working itself out
You do indeed seem to have the passion for it! I wish you all the best in your endeavors.

Quote:
I think you're probably a great example of that passionate attitude, too.
I hope so. I guess it depends on how one defines it. Some would say that i'm not, because of my decision. But those who define it as that undeniable drive inside to continue to improve and to work at a certain level of quality, and to keep on singing come what may, would likely say that i am.

Quote:
Who do you take lessons from?
My teacher is a college professor who had an international career of her own before she started teaching. She still sings internationally sometimes, in fact she just got back from a performance in Prague a few months ago.

I've so enjoyed our discussion on this thread. I'm always happy to be able to encourage a young singer!
" ...But the Exiles on the shores of the sea, if they turned towards the West in the desire of their hearts, spoke of Mar-nu-Falmar that was whelmed in the waves, Akallabêth the Downfallen, Atalantë in the Eldarin tongue."

"Ye who believe in affection that hopes, and endures, and is patient,
Ye who believe in the beauty and strength of woman's devotion,
List to the mournful tradition still sung by the pines of the forest ... "

~ Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, Evangeline

Voronwen is offline   Reply With Quote