Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-16-2009, 03:39 AM   #25
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcuin View Post
In the final version, there are about 100 houses of the Big Folk in Bree, and about as many Little Folk. That makes the population around 1200–2000, I expect.
Yes, and in all the drafts published in HOME, there used to be but 50 stone houses. I think Tolkien added extra 50 houses in the final version of the text, and Fonstad (who had the same Tolkien sketch I have posted), extended Bree to the south to accommodate the extra houses.

Quote:
Yes, I think we must use Tolkien’s sketch-map: it fits the rough time-line – and the published text! – much better.
OK.
Quote:
Ferny and his visitor from Isengard now reach Ferny’s house before Merry and the Black Rider. This suggests that Ferny and the Isengarder pass the Black Rider when they leave the Inn. The Black Rider stays there, and Merry returns to find him still standing across the Road from the Inn. Somehow, that doesn’t feel quite right to me: was there a second Black Rider outside, too, that walked home with them? They passed the Nazgûl, and he didn’t join them? They didn’t see him? I’m not certain we have assessed the order of events correctly here
The road near the Pony was not completely deserted. Pony was a busy place full of people. Merry, for instance, was staying outside, some customers may be getting out to ahh... gaze at stars after a mug of beer. The nazgul didn't want to approach his spies immediately in the lighted space below Pony's windows, but followed quietly after them in 1-2 minutes. It is standard spy technique.
And note: Olmer has proved that Merry was standing by the side entrance (he had to go round the corner to follow the nazgul). So Merry couldn't see Ferny and Isengarder exiting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcuin
I can’t help but notice that, had the Commons room emptied any faster, lots of Bree-folk would have found this weird, scary guy standing across the road from their favorite watering-hole.
Do you think it is easy to see a nazgul in the night shadows? After all, he could simply take off his cloak and be truly and completely invisible. But why go to such lengths? Merry saw the nazgul only because the nazgul moved and movement attracts attention. Were he immobile, he would be undetectable, barring the vague feeling of dread. I guess in this case the nazgul wished to be seen by Merry.

What do you think is wrong in my timeline for 9.45-10.00 that I have posted before, Alcuin?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordis
9.45 Merry returns from stroll, gazes at stars. Frodo has “accident.” The Nazgul (H) is immobile in the shadows, watching the Common room windows from across the street.
9.47 Ferny+Isengarder quietly exit, turn south, Merry pays them no heed - he is still by the door.
9.49 The Nazgul (H) stirs and starts to follow after Ferny+Isengarder; he moves past Merry. (He had been opposite the windows of the common room, thus to the north from Merry and has to go south). His movement is observed by Merry and the Nazgul notices his awareness. The Nazgul lures Merry to follow, thinking to learn something useful from questioning the hobbit, if the Isengarder's report proves uninteresting. So they go south: Ferny and Isengarder are ahead, then the Nazgul, then Merry who has lost the sight of those ahead and falls behind.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcuin's_Timeline_v5
10.15 One Black Rider leaves to tell Witch-King Ringbearer is in Bree, other 2 decide to take Merry.
Alcuin, I don't believe there was more than one nazgul in Bree at this point (H). I think the others (FI) were outside with the horses. Nazgul H had to go outside to send the messenger, and do so fast. So he left right after Merry swooned.

I think it were the Isengarder and Ferny who were lifting Merry when Nob came. I don't see the nazgul doing the dirty job himself when he was in a hurry and there were two mortal ruffians to order about. It is just second nature for a being used to command others. The ruffians got the order to pick Merry, while the nazgul was gone, but got scared by Nob and dropped him. Unlike the nazgul, Ferny couldn't afford to be accused of murder: he hoped to continue living in Bree after this night's work.

About the horses. The quote you have posted, Alcuin:
Quote:
Strider: The Black Breath. The Riders must have left their horses outside, and passed back through the South-gate in secret.
proves that all the three nazgul horses were outside of Bree this evening, none was keeping company to Bill the Pony after all. I don't believe the nazgul would leave them outside unguarded even for a short while - the horses were too valuable to take such risk. So I believe while the inn was being assaulted by H and I, the horses were in Bree. Another reason: if the nazgul did take the Ring, hasty departure was in order.

When nazgul F left for Andrath, H and I must have planned the night attack between themselves, then H returned on foot to Ferny's and gave orders to the assembled ruffians, then at the appointed time HI most likely rode around Bree and made Harry open the West gate for them to bring the horses inside. While the Inn was under attack, the Gate likely stood open.

Last edited by Gordis : 02-16-2009 at 03:46 AM.
Gordis is offline   Reply With Quote