Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-11-2009, 04:40 AM   #20
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Well, Alcuin, Re: Sauron's butt I was not entirely serious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAB View Post
Regarding the retreat on Weathertop, I think we do the Nazgul a disservice by concentrating on the Barrow-blade itself rather than on the implications of Frodo's possession of the sword. The Nazgul expected to find a helpless prey on the hill, but instead saw something quite different (at least in their minds). In the heat of that moment they were probably thinking something like: "A Barrow-blade? Why does he have that? Does he know our weaknesses? How did he get that? He must have defeated a wight. How could a halfling defeat a wight? Wait a minute! Has he learned how to wield the Ring? Uh-oh."
I agree completely. And note what a huge effort of will must have been required of a nazgul to attack the wielder of the One, whom the nazgul "had been conditioned to treat with servility".(L #246)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcuin View Post
Ooh! I missed those! Thanks!

Added later

FYI, RotK, “Appendix A” says that Narmacil II was killed fighting against the Wainriders; in UT, “Cirion and Eorl” (footnote 8), Tolkien says this battle was called the Battle of the Plains. As for Argeleb I and Arveleg I, they are good candidates, and they certainly died as a result of the Witch-king’s machinations. “Appendix A” says, “Argeleb ... was slain in battle with Rhudaur and Angmar. ... A great host came out of Angmar in 1409, ... and surrounded Weathertop. The Dúnedain were defeated and Arveleg was slain.”

I will incorporate the information about Arveleg and a note documenting the reference to an alternate ending for Narmacil into the essay. Thanks again!
You are welcome, Alcuin.
Note only that the passage about Narmakil and the WK was soon rewritten :

Quote:
At this time the Ulairi (or Ringwraiths) who had seized Mordor long before began to assail Ithilien. Narmakil was slain by the Sorcerer- king. Osgiliath ceased to be the seat of the kings.

This was roughly rewritten to read:
In his time it is said that the Ulairi (or Ringwraiths) arose again and re-entered Mordor secretly. There they prepared in the darkness for the return of their Dark Lord. Men out of the East, a fierce people riding in great wains, came against Gondor, doubtless stirred up by Sauron and Ulairi. Narmakil slain in battle.
This was the first appearance of the Wainriders.
Tolkien postponed and postponed the relocation of the Witch-King to Mordor and the fall of Minas Ithil. Obviously, now (when these events are postponed to 1980 and 2002) the killing of Narmacil by the WK in 1856 couldn't have occurred. The WK was still quite busy in the North.

As for Argeleb I, perhaps he should be taken off the WK's list of victims:
Quote:
Argeleb I. born 1226, lived 130 years + slain 1356. Argeleb fortifies the Weather Hills. He was slain in battle with Rhudaur (with secret aid of Angmar); the enemy tries to seize the palantir of Amon Sul.-HOME XII
Now how can the aid of Angmar be termed "secret" if the King of Angmar was there in person and slew Arthedain's King? Impossible.

His son Arveleg, however, is a neat case.

Last edited by Gordis : 02-11-2009 at 04:51 AM.
Gordis is offline   Reply With Quote