Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-09-2009, 05:50 PM   #26
CAB
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffeehouse View Post
Seen from a task-completion point of view its obvious then that the Nazgûl were a very poor choice.
I disagree. The task had two parts: Obtain the Ring and return it to Sauron. Sauron may have had other servants better suited to performing the first part, but only the Nazgul could complete the second. Therefore, they were his only possible choice.

Quote:
The One Ring was the be all and end all to Sauron.
I don't agree with this either. Sauron was stronger than his opponents even without the Ring. No one in Middle Earth could have successfully wielded the Ring against him. He didn't spend a great deal of resources trying to recover it. But, I will agree that he would have willingly traded some Nazgul to regain the Ring.

Quote:
Which leaves one conclusion: Sauron was overstimated by the Wise, he did not have the awesome power they hyped him up to have.
I think the conclusion is simply that he didn't have servants well suited to recovering the One Ring in enemy territory, nothing more.
CAB is offline   Reply With Quote