Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-18-2009, 04:04 PM   #1
EllethValatari
Elven Warrior

Gnomes?

I was recently re-reading The Shaping of Middle Earth and came across a charcter that I had no knowledge of existing in Middle Earth. Christopher T. places an exerpt of a writing of Tolkien's; about the Gnomes of the mountains, the sorrow of Ulmo, and their helping him only to die at the hands of Melkor. Are these Gnomes just an idea of Tokien's left out of his great masterpieces? Or are they mentioned elsewhere and I am just too stupid to notice?
"We have come from God, and inevitably the myths woven by us, though they contain error, will also reflect a splintered fragment of the true light, the eternal truth that is with God. Our myths may be misguided, but they steer however shakily towards the true harbour, while materialistic 'progress' leads only to a yawning abyss and the Iron Crown of the power of evil."
— J.R.R. Tolkien
EllethValatari is offline   Reply With Quote