Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-08-2008, 02:20 AM   #11
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

nazgul sight

"Sorry, I can't see well by daylight. Please allow my horse to look at it" - From Khamul's Westron phrase-book.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attalus View Post
the fact, I must insist upon, that the Nazgul could not see without their horses.
That is by day, not at night. Here is the quote:

Quote:
'Can the Riders see?' asked Merry. 'I mean, they seem usually to have used their noses rather than their eyes, smelling for us, if smelling is the right word, at least in the daylight. But you made us lie down flat when you saw them down below; and now you talk of being seen, if we move.'
'I was too careless on the hill-top,' answered Strider. [...] They themselves do not see the world of light as we do, but our shapes cast shadows in their minds, which only the noon sun destroys; and in the dark they perceive many signs and forms that are hidden from us: then they are most to be feared. And at all times they smell the blood of living things, desiring and hating it. Senses, too, there are other than sight or smell.
So the nazgul, even by day, can see the misty shapes of people - I guess exactly in the same way as Sam with the Ring on was able to see orcs at Cirith Ungol:
Quote:
Then he put it on. [...] At once he was aware that hearing was sharpened while sight was dimmed[/B], but otherwise than in Shelob's lair. All things about him now were not dark but vague; while he himself was there in a grey hazy world, alone, like a small black solid rock [...]
He heard [...] deafening, roaring in his ears, the crash of the feet and the rending clamour of the Orcs before him. He shrank against the cliff. But they marched up like a phantom company, grey distorted figures in a mist, only dreams of fear with pale flames in their hands.
It exactly matches the description of nazgul sight in the Hunt for the Ring texts:
Quote:
The Nazgûl found one another easily, since they were quickly aware of a companion presence, and could hear the cries over great distances. They could see one another also from far away, even by day when to them a Nazgûl was the one clearly visible thing in a mist.RC p.164
In day time, the nazgul sight was obscured by heavy mist - but at night it was not so, and they could see even more than humans (see the first quote) + they smelled living blood + had "other senses."

There was nothing to prevent the nazgul from operating at night in a lightless room.

Also, all this story about the Dunlanding and his maps and lists told in UT, implies that the nazgul saw enough of the World of Light to be able to read! Maybe they could not read by daylight, but at night certainly.

Quote:
I think Bill and the Southron tore up the bolsters and mat in frustration at having to bring bad news to their very, very scarey masters.
As I said, I don't believe, I can't believe, that the nazgul would remain away from the Inn while they sent some untrustworthy ruffians to get the One Ring. I am sure they would be there as well.
Gordis is offline   Reply With Quote