Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-13-2008, 07:49 PM   #11
trolls' bane
Entmoot Secretary of the Treasury

Quote:
Originally Posted by shesabrandybuck View Post
Im the same way, about learning new things atleast. I am always trying to learn something new. I love understanding as many things as I can that interest me, and even if they dont, I still know it haha. Culture is my big thing and philosophy. Jean-Jacques Rousseau is like my new favorite person...ever.
Brandybuck -- I'm pretty sure you don't know me by this name, but you'll be surprised how well you know me. Haha!
Still have only had a limited chance to read Rousseau. I bought a sort of Philosophical analysis/anthalogy that breaks philosophy into sections (political, art, metaphysics, etc.), with excerpts pertaining to that section from a number of philosophers. There is some Rousseau.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noble Elf Lord View Post
Why exactly do you like Rousseau? I really don't remember any dudes from my Philosophy classes. I don't care what someone used to think, I make up my own philosophy. And, in any case, none of the philosophies that have been made up will work. You just have to grab the good parts and to... OK I'll be nice... to trash bucket with the rest.
Actually, I happen to agree with you. I'm a sort of assimilationist; I think the best hope for humanity is not inventing another philosophy, but taking the best from all of those that have existed. (I'm sure that even Machiavelli had his merits, although, I've not had a chance to read that and find out. )

Quote:
Originally Posted by shesabrandybuck View Post
I love Geology aswell, like earth science, kinda the same thing. My step father is a geologist. I find it so interesting how the earth works and all, or we think we know how it works. But anatomy is really what gets me. Everything about the human body fascinates me, above anything else.

Rousseau....Rousseau....what is it about him that I am attracted to...? Well many things. I am currently reading his Discourse on Equality. Its basically like a Man vs. Nature type of thing, to put it in the simplest of words. I find truth in a lot of things that he has to say, I cant really pin point it exactly...Philosophy to me, is much like Astronomy. You think you have the right answers only to be proven wrong...again...and again. I like making up my own philosophies too. And of course, they are always right
Well, if my hard drive hadn't been wiped out, I'd be glad to send you my book as I was promising, Comrade. Pity it has been. But I'm re-writing my party's Constitution and Declaration of Principles completely anew, and making them two separate documents. I'm also going to hold a small "Reformed Brendonianist Party" meeting with the local core members; I need to see if I can get them interested in forming the precursor of our economic front.

Here's to geology... Had an argument with someone about it the other day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meriadoc Brandybuck View Post
TB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! *pounces*
Where've you been, hmm?
*dusts himself off* Wow...I forgot how much one got pounced around here! Haha.

Well, I left the Cave of Plato, and saw the outside world. And now, I've returned to it, knowing the true nature of the shadows and sounds I see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pytt View Post
Oh, my. Hi all. Everyone in perfect shape around here? It's been quite a long time since I last had time to drop by, the harsh but beautiful norwegian nature don't allow coffe breaks left and right, with icebears in the streets and such.
Wow! Pytt! It's been a long time, Comrade! How's it been?