Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-16-2008, 07:55 PM   #1
Vidugavia
Hobbit

Nazgul The nine, in Saurons abcence

After lurking for quite a while, I've decided to create a thread about a question I fear have no real answer in Tolkiens writings.

What did the nazgul do during and after Saurons defeat by the last alliance?

They first appeared around S.A. 2251. At Saurons fall they "go into the shadows". 1050 Sauron begins to take new form and 1300 the nazgul goes more or less public again and founds Angmar.

Does "go into the shadows" mean that they were rendered "empty and shapeless" like Gandalf hoped they were at the ford of Bruinen? If so, what happened to their rings when they were disembodied at Saurons fall? Did Elendil, Gil-galad & Co defeat and temporarily shatter any nazgul before fighting Sauron? As Saurons most powerful servants at least some of the nazgul must have fought the last alliance. Was their passing "into the shadows" exclusively a result of Saurons personal defeat or were they also temporarily "slain"? Did at least some of the nazgul loose their rings at the end of the second age?

How fast did they heal and regroup? Were they guided by Saurons all the time? Could they communicate with him before 1050?

So many questions that probably lacks answers but I encourage creative speculation.
Vidugavia is offline   Reply With Quote