Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-11-2008, 07:38 PM   #11
Coffeehouse
Entmoot Minister of Foreign Affairs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varnafindë View Post
A Norwegian poet wrote a poem called "To one nameless", beginning with the words "Whom should I give thanks to?" (my translation. Original: "Til ein namnlaus" by Tor Jonsson, beginning "Kven skal eg takke?").

He ponders all the things he wants to give thanks for, like his ability to see the world, and I think he would have agreed with you about the beauty and the simpleness and the uniqueness.

I don't know whether he regarded himself an atheist or an agnostic, but he seems to feel a certain sadness that he hasn't got anyone to give thanks to. He asks the giver, "Who are you? Why do you keep quiet?" ("Kven er du gjevar? Kvi teier du still?")

And he ends up by giving thanks to someone whom I interpret to be the woman that he loves.
I feel the very same way Varna. Some nights I can stand alone or with friends outside of our cabin in the summer, and look up at the sky, an absolute beauty of stars on a black tapestry. And it gets very big, very philosophical. I can almost feel the shiver down my spine as I watch in awe. And there's a sadness to it, right before I walk inside again. If only there was someone to thank for it. Something that we all could relate to, something bigger than us.

But for me, the answer is painful, but honest. We're alone here, and intelligent life on other planets (I think this is a good possibility) is so far away that we can not share our existence with them.