Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > RPG Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-30-2008, 11:00 PM   #11
Ingwe
Elven Warrior

An inquiry, the Avari in the First Age, were they as far east as Dorwinion, or were any of them still remaining further in the east even than that? When the displaced of former Beleriand came to the old east that was now the new west (Eriador) and some came to Greenwood the Great, did the Avari move even further east to make room? I hear different tales of this, that a lot of the Avari were in Dorwinion, and that some stayed in the Wild Wood, around the area that Cuivienen once was. It sounds like everyone was really scattered all over the continent, inter-mingling happening a lot more than is chronicled (between Elves and Men, Men and Dwarves, and even more strangely, Elves and Dwarves, wow that would be quite interesting to say the least). Some of the Avari were in the far east (and I mean far East, Middle Earth was more huge than it appeared at first glance, the northwest where most of the war went on was just a fraction) and then some of the Avari were in Dorwinion, and some of the Nandor ended up there as well and the Nandor and some of the Avari mingled (quite a reunion).

To me though, the term Avari is offensive, and are usually known by one of their several tribe names, those names being Cuind, Kindi, Hwenti, Kinn-lai, Penni, Windan, and so on. Where those different tribes are scattered, who knows. Unwilling to leave, not unwilling to stay. Despite the evil and mortality in Middle Earth, the land is a gift, so why leave that gift behind if you don't really have to? If I had a choice of where to go, I'd stay somewhere in the East. The others didn't like their decision, but it wasn't their decision to make. If Orome didn't like it he would have struck them down. But Valinor does have much more spectacular things to see. The "Avari" wanted a challenge and stayed. Who knows what kind of cities they built or how crafty they were, despite what others say of them. Eol was of the Avari but he was just one bad example.

I think it's definite that some of them lived in Dorwinion, but it is definite that some of the Nandor lived there too. Thranduil had wine carried from Dorwinion to Mirkwood frequently (underground alcohol distribution LoL, Thranduil doesn't like prohibition).

About a random humor scene, Thranduil could be drunk during one of those scenes, after we get back from the journey (if we do). Thranduil seems like the kind of person who would get blotto a lot.