Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Silmarillion
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-23-2008, 01:29 PM   #21
Morris
Sapling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufin View Post
Which three? If you're talking about Doriath, Nargothrond and Gondolin, the last two would never have existed in the first place without FĂ«anor, the fall of Nargothrond was completely due to TĂşrin's arrogance, and Maeglin was responsible for the fall of Gondolin. The fall of Doriath was at least as much due to Thingol's greed and xenophobia as it was anything to do with FĂ«anor or his sons.
Aqualonde, Doriath, and the Havens of Sirion are the three I'm thinking of. I suppose technically Aqualonde didn't fall and it's a bit debatable wether the Havens should be considered a city, but my point is really that Feanor's arrogance and inflexibility (and that of his sons) are the root cause of most of the suffering described in the Silmarillion.

I'm threadjacking my own thread a bit here, but really the point I'm trying to make is that Tolkien was very fond of using characters who, even with the best of initial intentions, have fatal character flaws that lead to destruction and ruin. I'd argue that Turin, Maeglin, and Feanor himself all fall into this category as do Feanor's sons.

Last edited by Morris : 04-23-2008 at 01:33 PM.
Morris is offline   Reply With Quote