Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-02-2008, 08:07 AM   #29
Curufin
The Ñoldóran

Quote:
All characters on your list are important. All characters on any list are important. Your characters are chosen (other than by being elves, which is a first degree of importance to you) as being critical to the plot. That's very coordinate with a political leaning, btw. Strategic. Someone else might feel each species needed a representative. Someone might compose a list of the characters whose perspective changes most over the course of the book (a classic issue in defining protagonists). Someone's list might be of characters that they personally identify with. Someone's list might be only of royalty, of one kind or another.
I must say that this is a fascinating way to look at this!

I suppose that everything is relative, and that people judge 'importance' in different ways. You're right - to me, a character is less important if they don't directly influence the plot, hence the fact that Gildor - who is one of my favorite characters, aesthetically speaking, doesn't make the list. And you may be right - being trained as a political scientist makes me look at things strategically, and judge 'importance' in such a way.

Fascinating thoughts you bring up there, Sis.

~The Lay of Leithian
Curufin is offline   Reply With Quote