Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-19-2008, 05:01 PM   #11
sisterandcousinandaunt
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownjenkins View Post
I respect all the posters here, but even just reading this thread, and others, it's easy to see a kind of elitism and misperception that develops among the people here who are homeschooled.
I don't actually think homeschooling is the problem with that. I think that's 'youth', and it wears off.

Quote:
And, if they never experience it, they will hold on to that opinion for the rest of their lives.
Here is where you depart from logic, BJ. People have a lot of notions at 20 that are different at 40. And different again at 60. And several of the people here aren't even 20! Have a little more trust in the resilience of curiosity. Think of Marjoe Gortner.
Quote:
It will color the way they view the rest of the world. It's almost a religious vigor about homeschooling.
"Religious vigor" is the burr under your saddle. If you read my link, it is clear that public schooling doesn't eliminate that.

You, yourself, sound a little fervid, on the subject of your debt to public school.

Quote:
Outside of the most extreme of situations like the inner city, people should give public school a chance.
Stereotype alert. Sometime look at the curve for national merit scholars. *hint* the ones with affirmative grading are largely rural states.
Quote:
And, if more is needed, there's still plenty of time in the day for parent's to augment their child's education.
Is there, indeed? I know a lot of parents who would disagree with you on that. They may not even get home from work before the kids go to sleep.

Quote:
Spending a majority of all your formative years with only your parents and siblings is just too much.
Gee. I might need a smilie for "stereotype alert". I'll say, again, all evidence supports the idea that homeschoolers leave the house. They participate in co-ops. They play team sports. They take classes. They volunteer and intern.

What type of link or supporting evidence would break through your denial on this? I get bored restating.

Cool. I want one.

TMNT

No, I'm not emo. I just have a really poor sense of direction. (Thanks to katya for this quote)

This is the best news story EVER!
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26087293/

“Often my haste is a mistake, but I live with the consequences without complaint.”...John McCain

"I shall go back. And I shall find that therapist. And I shall whack her upside her head with my blanket full of rocks." ...Louisa May
sisterandcousinandaunt is offline   Reply With Quote