Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-31-2008, 06:35 PM   #11
Nerdanel
Spammer of the Happy Thread

I'm taking a course in Copenhagen, Denmark again.. A PhD course, again.. Although I'm still working on my master's and haven't even thought about a PhD yet. XD That's not what I want to vent about, though.

It's the course arrangements. We're supposed to write an essay, prepare a presentation about some articles, be opponents (and prepare for that) and make our own presentation about our research. It's all alright, it's just that there are 17 days left before the course, and we haven't got any information about topics, articles etc. yet. Today we received an email saying that we won't get the topic for the essay until five days before it's due, because "we want all students to put the same amount of effort in- if we told you the title now the danger would be the some would spend 18 days and others less", which is the most stupid explanation they could've come up with! I'm a master's student, and I have other deadlines and other courses during those five days; imagine what a PhD student has! The chance of someone actually spending 18 days on writing that essay is insignificant. The only thing a stupid arrangement like that does, is that it makes sure everyone is stressed about it: probably not equally stressed, but stressed nevertheless. Meh. I sent a rant about it to the people who're arranging it too, hopefully they change their minds..

And after reading that and being stunned by amazement of the stupidity, I read this:
"The boys stay in the Youth Hostel and the girls get the University rooms..because the youth hostel is further away."
.. What? First of all, the 'girl/boy' grouping itself is something I thought would disappear after junior high. Obviously, I've been too optimistic. And if I try to ignore that, what are they trying to explain? Not the division of people based on "genders", no but why the 'boys' get to live in the youth hostel: and the explanation doesn't explain anything. The youth hostel is further away? What? I don't get it. I probably don't want to get it.
I don't mind where I live, was it a youth hostel or the university rooms, I don't mind with whom I share a room, I don't care who they are, what they are and where they're from. I just wish the arrangers weren't so obviously stuck in some kind of illusion where people are divided based on their gametes..

*sigh* I'm done now.

- C. Sagan

My (photography) website
My Flickr page