Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-30-2007, 09:51 PM   #14
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by inked
Speaking of discrimination, what do you make of this article about the perils of diversity in practice in America?
I've never thought about diversity much, to be honest . I've always bought into the "more diversity is better," because that's what everyone says, but I've never really thought about it. I'll certainly keep the contents of that article in mind, as I do start to think about it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by inked
What do you do when research discovers an inconvenient truth and you are a liberal from Harvard who has to publish?
Gloss over your own work, from the look of it . . .
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boston Globe: The downside of diversity
When he finally published a detailed scholarly analysis in June in the journal Scandinavian Political Studies, he faced criticism for straying from data into advocacy. His paper argues strongly that the negative effects of diversity can be remedied, and says history suggests that ethnic diversity may eventually fade as a sharp line of social demarcation.

"Having aligned himself with the central planners intent on sustaining such social engineering, Putnam concludes the facts with a stern pep talk," wrote conservative commentator Ilana Mercer, in a recent Orange County Register op-ed titled "Greater diversity equals more misery."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurvingiel
One group of kids getting a different education as another group of kids should be minimised as much as humanly possible.
Don't you favor greater diversity of culture and opinion? How does that jive with this kind of education program?

Also, why do you assume that this single education that is taught is the right one? There are a lot of opinions out there. The education that is taught today is exceedingly politically correct and is going ever more liberal. Which is in tune with the values of the day, but those might not be correct. Politically correct, yes, but not necessarily actually correct. So how do you know that the single education is not steering everybody together into the dungeon of a single incorrect perspective?
If the world has indeed, as I have said, been built of sorrow, it has been built by the hands of love, because in no other way could the soul of man, for whom the world was made, reach the full stature of its perfection.

~Oscar Wilde, written from prison

Oscar Wilde's last words: "Either the wallpaper goes, or I do."

Last edited by Lief Erikson : 08-31-2007 at 02:15 PM.
Lief Erikson is offline   Reply With Quote