Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Writer's Workshop
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-12-2007, 06:06 PM   #13
Curubethion
Fenway Ranger, Lord of Red Sox Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lief Erikson
Cool. That's really what I'm doing too. I wrote one fantasy series (which I'll end up having to rewrite, to get its content up to snuff) and now I'm writing backward in time to flesh out the history. The book I just finished is ancient history fleshed out. I intend to write at least one more books also that covers more of the continuum of my world's history before I reach the "present", the time period where my real epic will transpire. I have ideas for at least one. There are other ideas still in the wings of ideahood that might turn into books between the past that I'm currently writing and the present.
That's cool. Currently, my goal with writing is first to get to a big cataclysmic event in my world's history, then eventually I'm actually hoping to get it into the space age. Technology in a fantasy world has been something I've always been interested in, and this is no exception. I'm going to be trying to increase the technology level of my world as it goes along.
Quote:
I want to publish!!! I'm very ambitious about that.

How many books to your world's history have you finished so far?
So far...it's just three books that occur at the same time (although, MAJOR books), another book that fleshes out a bit of history of one of those three books, and then the book I just finished, which opens up an entirely new bit of history.
Quote:
And you said you're working on writing about twenty? Does that mean that you have their plotlines done and the ideas set up, or are you actually currently in the process of writing twenty simultaneously? That would be quite a job. I can't imagine trying to do that. I can't even write two simultaneously with any ease at all. If I have two going, I always revert to one until it's finished and leave the other on the backburner.
Basically, what it means is that...I've got the plot ideas down for about twenty. Yikes, I don't think I could ever write twenty at the same time! Two is the most I've ever done, and that was more of a back-and-forth thing. But yeah, I'm basically putting down plot ideas to further the Big Plot, the whole story of my world.
Quote:
Writing fiction without much magic is an ambition I hope to achieve soon. Perhaps in my next book, after I finish editing the one I've recently finished. At present, I can't help but give magic a very large role. It would be neat to experiment with.

Do you find your stories more interesting with or without much magic? Or does it matter, in your opinion?
To me, it's all about the characters. If magic is there, it's only there as a device for things to happen. For example, in my latest book, I get to show how one character's messing with sorcery pretty much screws him over in the end.
Quote:
That would be cool . Certainly has elbow room for spookiness, depending on how you do it. Which do you generally find to be more clever in your books, your heroes or your villains?
Yeah, I'm definitely going to get a lot of creepy stuff into that novel...and into the follow-ups to it...because...well, a reason that would pretty much spoil the ending of what I've got planned for that book.

And on the whole, my villains tend to be craftier, except towards the end. By that time, many of them have gone crazy for one reason or another, at least to some degree. It's somewhat like what Brian Jacques often does to his main villains.
My wife once said to me—when I'd been writing for ten or fifteen years—that I could always go back to being a nuclear engineer. And I said to her, 'Harriet, would you let someone who quit his job to go write fantasy anywhere near your nuclear reactor? I wouldn't!' (Robert Jordan)
Curubethion is offline   Reply With Quote