Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-14-2007, 08:55 PM   #11
sisterandcousinandaunt
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownjenkins
Yes, I meant it at the reactive level. When I hear stories about mothers wanting their biological child back after some other family has raised it for years the injustice of it bothers me.

In a broader sense, it would be nice if parents had to go through some of the same things those who want to adopt must in order to have a child, because there are a lot of bad parents out there, but there is no practical method of enforcement.

Maybe one day we will come of with a pregnancy vaccine that you can't have reversed 'til you can prove you are ready.
How are you going to arrange for adoptive parents to go through what biological mothers do? It looks like you and your wife have no fertility problems, have babies as married people with jobs, not recently raped, not 15...nice work if you can get it. A lot of biological mothers don't have the same advantages. Not to mention the men... as Gaffer posted, some of them don't even hear about it.

So how are you going to give adoptive couples that experience?

I know folks on all sides of the adoption experience, and folks who've faced problem pregnancies with different outcomes, and folks with fertility problems, and adoptive families who've lost their kids, and regular families that have struggled with the state for custody, or asked for help and had none forthcoming, and parent's who check their email every day after their kids turn 18, hoping they'll choose to get in touch. I was named for an adopted child by a person descended from a sibling who missed them.

Parenting is the biggest bet on the table. The ante's too high for a lot of people. But that doesn't mean we can just count them out. The world needs more support for all kinds of parents, not just ideal ones, and it needs a little more openness for solutions outside one father, one mother, 2.x kids in a house in the suburbs.

Cool. I want one.

TMNT

No, I'm not emo. I just have a really poor sense of direction. (Thanks to katya for this quote)

This is the best news story EVER!
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26087293/

“Often my haste is a mistake, but I live with the consequences without complaint.”...John McCain

"I shall go back. And I shall find that therapist. And I shall whack her upside her head with my blanket full of rocks." ...Louisa May
sisterandcousinandaunt is offline   Reply With Quote