Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-10-2007, 12:24 AM   #11
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotesse
I thought all good Catholics were supposed to be Democrats! Seriously; take the great John F Kennedy, for example. Best President Ever, and devoutly Catholic, and decidedly not a Republican. Simplistically put, I've always seen Republicans being mostly Presbyterian- or Calvinist-type church based christians (when they're Christians, that is, obviously) and Democrats being mostly Catholic, some Episcopalians in both camps though. Maybe Episcopalians more Republican. And Baptists, Baptists are predominantly Democrats, no? and Fundamentalists, Republican?
The Episcopalians I personally know tend to mostly be left-leaning. Which was actually pretty amusing for me in my church, at one point. The pastor, before the presidential elections, gave a little speech in which he urged everyone to vote, whatever their political views were, for political participation was a great deal of what made America great.

I agreed with the content of that message, but I wonder whether he would have given it or not if he hadn't known that almost the whole congregation was left-leaning like him .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwaimir Windgem
The Catholic Church has always felt it has a responsibility to give to the poor. As a Catholic, that's one of the major reasons I have become so disillusioned with the Republican party.
You may have a point there. I don't have an opinion on that, yet. But I do believe firmly that on moral issues, the Republican Party is a heck of a lot better than the Democratic, for even if they're wrong on treatment of the poor, they take a strong stand against homosexual marriage, stem cell research and abortion. The Republican Party needs the votes of conservative Christians and so has to match their interests with their policies, to a certain extent.

Abortion is the most crucial moral issue facing our country, from my perspective, and is far more important than poverty.
If the world has indeed, as I have said, been built of sorrow, it has been built by the hands of love, because in no other way could the soul of man, for whom the world was made, reach the full stature of its perfection.

~Oscar Wilde, written from prison

Oscar Wilde's last words: "Either the wallpaper goes, or I do."

Last edited by Lief Erikson : 04-10-2007 at 12:42 AM.