Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-25-2007, 09:00 PM   #11
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by sisterandcousinandaunt
approach to language a lot of places, but it's preeeety funny on a Tolkien board. The word "goblin" went through the full-on tesseract during JRRT's interaction with it. He didn't wait for consensus, even with himself.
Quiet you. Tolkien doesn't count.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownjenkins
Next thing you know, I'll be the root of all that is evil.

While I agree with GW on the hippo, I think putting religion and consensus in the same light is an oxymoron.
And thus, by saying something sufficiently vague, you've managed to make sense, without actually doing so in the context of the discussion. I was not talking about consensus on religious doctrine, but on consensus of the meaning of the word 'Christian'.

Quote:
Plus, I'm with Humpty Dumpty on this one:
Humpty Dumpty is a great example of distortion of convention in communication, and one that actually comes up often in the topic. I oppose you both.

Quote:
If you believe God took on human flesh, He clearly was able to accept limitations in service of His ends, whatever they may be. Why not suppose He accepted limits on His foreknowledge, or His power?
Because limitation is inherent to human nature, and thus it naturally comes with it; it is however alien to divine nature, which is why the divine must assume a lesser nature in order to be limited.

Quote:
I agree with sis here, in that I disagree with this statement. I think God made the universe, gave it certain parameters, and then let it go and said, "Surprise me!" But as a Chris Rice song says, "Love has the final move." GTG!
Hang on, Ri; are you saying that God does not have foreknowledge of what will come to pass?

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle