Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-10-2007, 01:13 AM   #11
trolls' bane
Entmoot Secretary of the Treasury

For various reasons, I only have time to read the original document Merry produced. And by doing so I am appalled at how much this resembles an authoritarian (as someone put it) measure.

However, I don't agree with homeschool either, for despite my contempt for the majority of the "people" who go to my school, I see no advantage of being taught by people who do not have teaching credentials nor perhaps a neutral opinion.

As you know Merry, I consider myself Christian, but at the same time I hold certain secular beliefs (Big Bang theory, though that was recently adopted as "okay" by the Roman Catholic Church, Evolution, etc.) as true. I do not think that someone should be taught with bias. I think there should be a more equal weight of either side. Christianity is faith, science is science, and should kept separate, but taught in equal amounts of both so an individual can draw their own conclusions. I don't particularly agree with the practice because even the most unbiased people are still biased.

On the other hand, seeing the horrors that I have to deal with in a public school, I can't help but to agree with the reasons for which many homeschool their children. As most who know me in person notice right off, I'm aloof, unmoved, and unnafected by anything even horrifyingly insulting to other people. I'm a philosophical tank. But others, as it is made quite obvious by someone I know who cries if she gets a 99% on a test or someone calls her something as a mild, friendly joke. (And, ironically, calls people all sorts of things in return.)

I will read both posted since the original post in due time. I'll probably download them to my palm pilot.