Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-12-2007, 10:14 AM   #17
Landroval
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecthelion
I don't think that was really the case, because we always see the the ring pulling people to it, and I don't think the ring really cared about who was its owner finally.
There is one instance in which the ring caused his owner to "lose" it - Gollum. As far as the ring "caring" who its owner was, I think you are wrong (and going against your previous position)
Quote:
Originally Posted by The shadow of the past, FotR
The Ring was trying to get back to its master. It had slipped from Isildur's hand and betrayed him; then when a chance came it caught poor Deal, and he was murdered; and after that Gollum, and it had devoured him. It could make no further use of him: he was too small and mean; and as long as it stayed with him he would never leave his deep pool again. So now, when its master was awake once more and sending out his dark thought from Mirkwood, it abandoned Gollum.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecthelion
But I don't think he would have offered it even to Galadriel after the episode with Boromir. If that scene would have come before, would we still have the scene with Galadriel? I wonder...
On a similar line of though I argued previously:
Quote:
At least, in this chain of events, Frodo would see what would happen to others when tempted; and perhaps this helped him a lot, when he later faced Boromir, who requested to relieve him of this burden.
I guess we both agree that Frodo going through a situation in which the ring is about to depart from him is quite... educational for him.
Landroval is offline   Reply With Quote