Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-07-2007, 03:30 AM   #1
alhaQQ
Sapling

Alternative Numenor...

Anybody up for "alt" history? (I have a weakness for it--having matriculated with a degree in [Ancient] History. )

I'm not sure if this belongs in this forum or the Sil forum...well, here it goes...I haven't seen anyone propose any kind of question or thread on this topic (I did do the customary search--and did not find any.)

What if Numenor (somehow) survived and did not fall? How would it happen? Civil War? When? How? Most "alt" history seems to point to Pharazon usurping the throne--what about earlier? Maybe in Adunakhor's time? (the Elendili may have been stronger and been better able to resist). How about Tar-Ciryatan--it was said (UT) that he forced Minastir to give up the Sceptre "earlier" than he wanted. What if Minastir flatly refused? Does Ciryatan rebel? (or does he wait the 4 years until dad croaks anyway?)

Of course, there are always more complications--Tar-Telperien's reign and death have some issues --most of what I've read actually have her dying in 1731 SA and NOT surrenduring the Sceptre beforehand. Then who sent aid to Gil-Galad around 1700? Maybe she had a "stroke" before 1695 (she was pretty stubborn), after one of her "infamous" rages (Dammit! They keep putting the spoons in the wrong order!!! Stuuuupid! Butlerrrrrs!! Aieee!!! ) Oh well, something to guess at. That could make Minastir regent and be in the position to help out the "poor" elves. I don't see her giving up the Mace before she dropped dead--or nearly--maybe it was her, not Atanamir who was the first to rule "until death".

Going back to Minastir--he seems like a genuinely good king--and surrendured the Sceptre and exited a few years later like a good King of Numenor. Interestingly, I found one web source that says Minastir may have had the same desire to live and rule on; see here: http://valarguild.org/varda/Tolkien/...r-Minastir.htm
Ok, the question becomes, does Minastir want to follow this path? Elros's rule till death is not disputed, Telperien may become the "model" for Minastir...is Minastir trying follow suit? Maybe Cirytan is "reacting" to this--"listen, dad, you're breaking with 'tradition' here...", Minastir blinks, "but son, Tar-Minyatur ruled till he passed on--and your Sainted Great Aunt, who made me King, by the way." "Dad, he grew weary, passed the Stick [Numenoreans were a bit 'cultured'...ed.], and then died! Don't you remember our own history??? We all know Aunt Telperien went as mad as Turin before she 'lost herself' with the servants!" Minastir blinks again...and calls his servant "boy, uh, more of that fine Andunie White, I think..." Enough said.

So Ciryatan, has this decision to make..."Dad and those creepy elves! There is a fortune, just waiting to be picked up!!! Blast it--there's a golden opportunity here--dad's just going to have to see reason...". Somehow he cajoles the old man (...more wine...dad?) to give it up--and lets cirrohsis do the rest...and Ciryatan goes off to claim his fortune, or does he...? Some of the loyal servants--who are early "temperance" adopters...start grumbling; "What's junior doing to the old man? He can't even get up to the summit--without being carried in that fancy litter--to perform the rites to Eru! And when he does he keeps playing with his zipper...and can barely slur out the prayers as it is. Simply shameful." Maybe some of the other servants (who being more 'worldly'), "No, no, no! You have it all wrong! The old man is trying to be like Tar-Minyatur--and shaming himself in the process--all for the desire to be like those creepy elves!" Hence the lines are now drawn--the King's Men v. the Elendili. (Interestingly, Ciryatan did pass on the Sceptre well before his death...something to ponder.)

Any other ideas?

"Next time...I use FIRE.", God/Illuvatar/Eru/Allah.

Always be insincere, even when you don't mean it...

There are two types of people in this world: those with loaded guns...and those who dig.
alhaQQ is offline   Reply With Quote