Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-17-2007, 01:05 PM   #11
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lief and then Lotesse
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiefErikson
How can you be so confident of another private-minded individual human being's personal motivations to deny their true nature? To me, that smacks of "grand, arrogant, loving intolerance," that you'd say that without even knowing them! No offense .

All I'm doing is believing that what a friend and what an acquaintance tell me is true. That is not arrogant.

So, are you saying that if a friend informed you that god did not exist, would you then believe God did not exist, or would you believe that he or she believed that God did not exist? Assuming your friend is not a liar, that is. They are not lying to you about what they believe; they just believe it, therefore, you shouldbelieve them, as their statement comes from a place of honesty within their own heart. Right? Think about it, if you dare.
I would believe that he or she believed God did not exist. And if the person said that he's heterosexual, I would believe that the person believes he is heterosexual. The difference is that in the first case, the person's belief that God doesn't exist is 100% guesswork, so it's irrational to just take him at his word. There cannot be any evidence that a God does not exist. In the second case, however, the person knows for a fact whether or not what he's saying is true. He knows what gender he feels sexual desire for, as he experiences it. So he's not just right or wrong- he's either truthful or a liar.

I speak from a place of honesty in my heart, as do you, both of us saying what we believe is true. Yet we come to many opposite conclusions. So that a person says what he or she believes is true is not a good enough reason to believe that person. We have to know what the evidence is. In the case of God, there is no evidence against him existing. In the case of sexuality, the person knows for a fact whether or not he's telling the truth, so his word is very valuable evidence as to what he feels.
If the world has indeed, as I have said, been built of sorrow, it has been built by the hands of love, because in no other way could the soul of man, for whom the world was made, reach the full stature of its perfection.

~Oscar Wilde, written from prison

Oscar Wilde's last words: "Either the wallpaper goes, or I do."

Last edited by Lief Erikson : 01-17-2007 at 04:22 PM.
Lief Erikson is offline   Reply With Quote