Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Writer's Workshop
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-09-2007, 07:58 PM   #11
Curubethion
Fenway Ranger, Lord of Red Sox Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lief Erikson
How many pages do you think you have written in all, in this book and all your books combined?
Hmm...let me think...I don't have an exact count, since I write them in notebooks and then put them on the computer (although I've really only put part of one on the computer so far...) But I think it's pretty much approaching now about 1,000 pages of actual writing. Which makes me happy.
Quote:
Aren't snow territories cool? I love them as sets .
They are awesome! I love the idea of a hostile environment, icy and cold, everything against you...plus, you don't have to know a lot about flora! Score one for slackers!

Seriously, though, I love how snow territories...just...feel. The Starks from A Song of Ice and Fire are really cool, and that's one of the reasons-they live in a cold, hostile land, and so their character is shaped by that. Cold, silent, strong, stolid. Very cool.
Quote:
That's one of the ways that J.K. Rowling managed to create incredibly believable, realistic characters. She modeled Harry Potter in Book 5 on her sister's adolescence. I've never tried doing that, myself, but I bet it helps a lot.
Really...that's interesting! An adolescent girl was the model for Harry? A bit creepy, as well...

But it does help a lot. It's much easier to visualize a character if you can stick your friend in that situation. Just think of what your friend would say-instant, real dialogue! Although if you're in a fantasy world, it might have to be slightly adapted...

When my friend read it, she actually figured out that she was the basis for one of the character. She made a remark like "I like [insert character name]...she's a lot like me." So I'm happy.
My wife once said to me—when I'd been writing for ten or fifteen years—that I could always go back to being a nuclear engineer. And I said to her, 'Harriet, would you let someone who quit his job to go write fantasy anywhere near your nuclear reactor? I wouldn't!' (Robert Jordan)
Curubethion is offline   Reply With Quote