Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-13-2006, 08:55 PM   #11
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

Quote:
Originally Posted by inked
So, what'd ya think of the great and glorious ruling of the Massachusetts Court in the case above. I mean the Court was all high and mighty and perfect in its ruling about gay "marriage" so it must be all high and mighty and perfect in this ruling too, right? Equality often means things people don't want it to mean and this is a perfect case in point. Notice that male fathers were attempting to support the "dispossessed" because that would help them in the battle against biology. Didn't work. A true case of judicial equality applied equally.
I've never been a big fan of biology automatically giving anyone more of a right to a child. Some biological parents are great and some are awful.

As far as the case goes, this is the real important part:

Quote:
The court also said the woman, who toiled long hours as codirector of a nonprofit organization, did not spend enough time caring for the child to establish her parental rights while the biological mother tended to most of the caretaking.
I wonder how the court would have ruled if it was the biological mother who was always working and the non-biological one who brought the child up.