Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-19-2002, 11:24 AM   #11
Billadillo
Hobbit

Quote:
Originally posted by Nibs
I felt the audience needed some early familiarity with Arwen. The chase and ford scene established that she's brave and what not, but moreso acquainted the audience with her far more than the book did. I almost thought to myself while reading RotK: "Arwen? Who the heck is that? Where did she come from?"
Actually, I'm totally with you on that point. Arwen's appearance in RotK threw me off the first time I read it too. I think giving her character a little more background and depth is a good idea.

I actually thought the waterfall scene with Arwen & Aragorn wasn't too bad. Even though it's not straight from the book, I think it's fairly consistant with their characters. I mean, they're in love an all, so it's reasonable to assume they would find a little "alone time".

But that still doesn't excuse the flight to the ford. That scene goes way beyond trying to give background & depth to Arwen's character. It gives us a whole new character, born from the minds of the screenwriters. And I don't like what they've come up with. Besides the fact that I think their motives were despicable (marketing, political correctness), I think the character they created is horribly cliche and overdone.

In her few minutes of screen time, she manages to steal the thunder from Aragorn, Frodo, Elrond, and Gandalf, while simultaneously making the Black Riders look like a bunch of weenies.

Giving Arwen more background? Good idea.

Making her super-Arwen? Baaad idea!

Last edited by Billadillo : 02-19-2002 at 11:27 AM.
Billadillo is offline   Reply With Quote