Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-03-2006, 08:14 PM   #11
Arien the Maia
Fëanáro's Fire Mistress

Quote:
Originally Posted by R*an
I don't see how that's "logical" ... (see next section)

... I think the mother's health issue boils down to this: if there's two people in the path of a car and you can only reach one, and one has terminal cancer and one is healthy, do you decline to save either one because they're both people and you don't want to show preference, or do you make an extremely difficult decision and save one, probably the one that can live?

If the mother's health is an issue and the baby is viable, then doctors try to save both. If the baby isn't viable, then I think it falls into the "two people in the path of a car" category.

Definitely! I"m very pro-choice - and the choice that a woman has is this: will I choose to take on the responsibilities of having sex, knowing that sex can produce a baby which I (and the father) will be morally responsible for?
that's an interesting view of pro-choice but I agree with you. and as far as the whole " abortion is ok if the mother's life is endangered" , well in developed countries, at least, most woman usually (not always) have a decent amount (or at least some) of prenatal care and know if everything is going ok for her and/or the baby. in most of the cases of "the mother's life being endangered", it usually doesn't happen until the third trimester in which the unborn child CAN survive outside the womb. usually labor is induced or a C-section is performed. the times that it happens before the third trimester, are rare...mostly ectopic pregnancies. and like I've said before, the baby will die regardless (in most cases...it depend on where it implants at) and the mother could possibly bleed to death. THAT , IMO, is a true "if the mother's life is endangered" case.