Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-08-2006, 06:57 PM   #11
Alcuin
Salt Miner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterbeer
But Gor does then not the line of whom we think the WK is, not go beyond in lineage in terms of rights to the Kingship beyond any claim of Elendil prior to the massacre of Numenor innocent and guilty alike?

(correct me if i am wrong but have you not yourself not argued this very thing elsewhere?)

best, BB
The Lords of Andúnië were the descendents of Silmariën, the eldest child of Tar-Elendil, the fourth king of Númenor; and had the law of first-born regardless of sex that Tar-Aldarion put in place so that his daughter might become the first Ruling Queen been in effect, the House of Valandil, first Lord of Andúnië, would have been the ruling house. In fact, there is some textual evidence that, at least at one point, Tolkien made Elendil’s elder brother the betrothed of M*riel, daughter of Tar-Palantir; in this telling, the brother dies without explanation and Pharazôn married M*riel, his first cousin, and made himself king.

All I am suggesting is that the Witch-king saw himself as a king. Had he been an ambitious prince whose brother became king (as I believe he was), that might have made him more susceptible to becoming ensnared by a Ring of Power. It would explain his hatred for the House of Elendil, in particular.
Alcuin is offline   Reply With Quote