Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Literature
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-09-2002, 12:33 AM   #20
CardenIAntauraNauco
Elven Warrior

Quote:
I think that of the thoughts that you are conscious of, the ones you "will" into existence, such as your plans, you have some control. The others - I guess they just occur as part of one's being; in the same way you can't control your own birth.
Now wait a minute Arathorn seems like your contradicting yourself. Earlier you said you have a storehouse given to you by your mother. This is what you said...

Quote:
I think this problem of looping (where you need to get materials for a thought and you need a thought to get the materials) occurs if you assume that you don't have "stored thoughts" a.k.a. memory and stored food/materials. To start off, when you were born, your body is given energy reserves from your mother's body. And before your body and brain dies due to lack of materials/food, you crave to retrieve more than you need. You thus either grow up or grow fat.
How could you have control over things your mother gave you? You could have no more control than you do over the changing of protiens into ATP energy for our cells. Or the results of your genotype on your phenotype. You could not have control over your thoughts if this theory were true. Because all thoughts would be assimilated into OrganX before you were born. If she just gives you the material to make thoughts than you would also have to have the material telling you how to form that material into a specific thought. And then material telling how that material needs to form the material that needs to form the material that tells how to organize material into a thought and so on...

I am in no way insulting your theories, as they are completely viable, but ONLY under the pretense that we do not have any control over our thoughts. Do you not agree?
"We will have peace","Yes we will have peace...we will have peace when you and all your works have perished - and the works of your dark lord to whom you would deliver us. You are a liar,Saruman,and a corrupter of men's hearts. You hold out your hand to me and I percieve only a finger of the claw of Mordor. Cruel and cold! Even if your war on me was just - as it was not,for were you ten times as wise you would have no right to rule me and mine, for your own profit you desired-even so, what will you say of your Torches in westfold and the children that lie dead there? And they hewed Hama's body before the gates of Hornburg, after he was dead. When you hang from a gibbet at your window for the sport of your own crows, I will have peace with you and Orthanc. So much for the House of Eorl. A lesser son of greater Sires am I, but I do not need to lick your fingers. Turn elsewither for I fear your voice has lost it's charm.
CardenIAntauraNauco is offline   Reply With Quote