FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-11-2006, 12:04 PM   #11
hectorberlioz
Master of Orchestration President Emeritus of Entmoot 2004-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfhelm
Question for the hard-core among us:

How many times have you listened to the Ring Cycle all the way through pausing only to eat? And when you do, what do you feel when the forest murmurs start? I don't know why, but they seem to make alpha waves start flowing or something, especially after all that precedes them.

My answer is three. And I'm 50. I have a feeling someone half my age has done it twice as many times.

On my part, one time. It was a day I was so bored I could have cried my eyes out, but I opted for Wagner instead.

Individually, I've probably listened to Die Walkure the most, and then Siegfried, Das Rheingold, then Gotterdammerung.

That duet finale at the end of Siegfried really puts you in the clouds, no?

Quote:
Orignially by ElfhelmDomingo, on the other hand... I love him! He is even more than what he's hyped to be. But I don't know the technical reason why. It's his ability to convey feelings, added with his ability in many different forms of opera, and his voice remaining wonderful well beyond the typical age of retirement that makes me sing his prasies, so to speak.

Care to add anything about his technique, Tessar. I'm not really knowledgeable there. I just try to sing right.
I am a big fan of Domingo. I have La Boheme with Solti/Domingo, and I really don't know of a more heartbreaking scene than the last in that opera.
(Weird though, apperantly there is a certain toddler Placido Domingo III on the recording...it was cute the second time around, but on the first it really gave me a scare!)

Also, Domingo doesn't stick with just the Italian/french reportoire that goes with his vocals. He dangerously went Wagnerian in Tristan und Isolde, and from what I've heard, it's impressive.

Quote:
Orignially by Karl ThingNice thread!

I enjoy classical music, although I haven't heard much of it. You could call me something of a convert. I began my life as a country fan, moved to pop, and now I'm moving more and more into classical music. I think that has something to do with my training in classical piano and voice.

Tessar, I'm going to have to say that I think Caruso's version of Nessun Dorma was much better. Pavarotti isn't my cup of tea at all.

I'm happy to see some other singers here. What parts do you all sing? I sing Bass I or Tenor II as I'm needed, although I find Tenor II to be a little uncomfortable to sing.
From country eh? ...still a Johnny Cash fan aren't you? (I always though Ghost Riders in the Sky would make a great orchestral piece).

It's funny that we Classical listeners, when we get stereotyped, Pavarotti usually figures into it!
He really isn't bad, at all. But, as I said before, it really has to do with his way and sounding...

Acaly und Hektor fur Presidants fur EntMut fur life!
Join the discussion at Entmoot Election 2010.
"Stupidissimo!"~Toscanini
The Da CINDY Code
The Epic Poem Of The Balrog of Entmoot: Here ~NEW!
~
Thinking of summer vacation?
AboutNewJersey.com - NJ Travel & Tourism Guide
hectorberlioz is offline   Reply With Quote