Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-19-2006, 07:28 PM   #16
Lotesse
of the House of FĂ«anor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RĂ*an
Atheists aren't obsessed with "proving" anything because they can't prove anything! They have nothing to work with except their feelings and thoughts that there isn't a god.
This is a blanket insult if I ever heard one. Christians and religious adherents in general prove all of their ideas and beliefs with a foundation that there is a god, and that their mythology is the truth. From that supposation, based upon faith, they embark upon proving whatever they can, with total confidence and a sort of righteously superior ease, since God is Real to them. Since god is real, and hell exists, and the scriptures are true, and the second coming is nigh, and etcetera etcetera, everything can be proven and justified knowing that all they need is Faith and the rest follows. Faith does not prove anything. It's very nice, but it does not prove scientific truths. If I have faith that aliens exist on a neighboring planet, does this faith make the aliens and the planet real? Well, if I and a big group of scolars and passionate believers got together and carefully thought it out, all we'd have to do is believe in our aliens enough and prove they exist by saying "Of course they exist! Look at yada yada yada that exists, so they must exist! I have faith they exist, so they must exist!"

This is untrue that atheists, or all those in this world who just do not believe in god, santa claus or aliens, are not motivated to prove things. What do you think scientific study is all about? Scolars of science and reason are rarely religious adherents, Rian.

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Lotesse is offline   Reply With Quote