Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-18-2006, 04:54 PM   #11
Blackheart
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotesse
Thanks for this excellent, awesome post, Blackheart! I agree with you very much, about the Hitler was no more a christian than is george Bush - but look, they both use religion to furtur their ends. They both claim christianity. Awesome post! Now I really, really must log off.
Err.. that's only slightly off the point.

"It isn't a religious phenomenon, it's a human phenomenon."

It's a problem with human political systems, that involves religion only as it (religion) impacts politics.

Any other system of "ethics" could be subsititued, and probably has been. Secular humanism, communism, and lets not forget the multitudes of plain raw power grabs in the name of "The People"...

Taoism, Buddhism, Divine Right, even (possibly but very ironically) pascifism have been used to justify the worst sorts of excesses.

If you're only going to throw rocks at religion, you ARE just engaged in religion bashing...

Which I might point out, is merely another example of the problem with human political systems, in which a power base has to find a scapegoat in order to "elevate" itself.

I've watched the rise in vitriol from self-identified humanists and athiests in recent years rather sadly.

It's part of the human nature to elevate by tearing down, instead of cooperating. Altruism genes only account for parts of human behavior. Competition is still a much stronger factor.

Religion isn't the source of all of Humanities problems. Humanity is. Religion isn't going to solve them. Neither is Humanism.

Queer haow a cravin' gits a holt on ye -- As ye love the Almighty, young man, don't tell nobody, but I swar ter Gawd thet picter begun ta make me hungry fer victuals I couldn't raise nor buy -- here, set still, what's ailin' ye? ...
Blackheart is offline   Reply With Quote