Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-18-2006, 01:27 PM   #11
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lief Erikson
I would very much like to hear your oma's first-hand account of what she believed of the Nazis at that time, and on what evidence she believed what she did.
Lief, based on my previous conversations with her and opa about the war, she has stated on more than one occasion that she was aware of the "death" camps during the war. I don't think she was aware of the scale of the persecution, but certainly, she knew that there were disappearances.

You will understand that given that her husband has just passed away, I will not be pestering her directly about this, though.

In any case, since you like "evidence" :

Quote:
Germans knew of Holocaust horror about death camps

Details of deaths of Jews and other groups in concentration camps were well publicised

John Ezard
Saturday February 17, 2001
The Guardian

The mass of ordinary Germans did know about the evolving terror of Hitler's Holocaust, according to a new research study. They knew concentration camps were full of Jewish people who were stigmatised as sub-human and race-defilers. They knew that these, like other groups and minorities, were being killed out of hand.
They knew that Adolf Hitler had repeatedly forecast the extermination of every Jew on German soil. They knew these details because they had read about them. They knew because the camps and the measures which led up to them had been prominently and proudly reported step by step in thousands of officially-inspired German media articles and posters according to the study, which is due to be published simultaneously in Britain and the US early next month and which was described as ground-breaking by Oxford University Press yesterday and already hailed by other historians.
Rest here.