Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-12-2006, 08:43 AM   #21
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

As Gordis and I have previously discussed via email, I think that Angmar attacked Fornost late in the year 1974 - early in the 1974-75 winter. It seems to contradict JRRT's direct statement about them attacking before a particular winter (which seems to be 73-74) had passed - but it works much better with Arvedui's attempted rescue from Forochel by Cirdan's ship, after being aided by the Lossoth (which appears to be clearly in 1975). There's no reason Arvedui would have waited up there through a summer and into the following winter, after fleeing Fornost.

I think the inconsistences stem from the apparent fact that JRRT never really got back to this story to firm it all up.

I think the forces of Angmar were content to mostly hang out in Fornost in the rest of the winter of 74-75. I bet they sent out raids to terrorize the surrounding areas (including Bree and the Shire), but I doubt they did any other full-scale assaults. They were probably waiting for Spring of 1975 - but the forces of Gondor got to them first.

I believe my fanfic account is a reasonable enough interpretation of what happened. There are enough inconsistencies already - and enough loose threads, that it's mostly plausible. However - there could easily be thousands of other interpretations. Gordis certainly spotted some flaws in my account though - so I may re-think it. I like to hope it's dramatic enough. (if anyone is interested - it's in Letter #11 of "Letters of Firiel" - which you can find from the link in my sig)

There could have been other heirlooms of Arnor. One notable one I think of: the Sword of Isildur was apparently recovered in the search for him (see "The Disaster of the Gladden" in UT). I would think this would be highly treasured - and maybe was held nearly as mighty as Narsil - and yet was unbroken. I suspect it could easily have been lost at the deaths of any of the Kings slain between Valandil and Arvedui (there were three in between who were slain) - or it could have gone into the drink with Arvedui. It might have even passed into Cardolan or Rhudaur at the Division of Arnor (esp if one of the other sons of Earendur had it in his keeping at the time - possession probably being nine-tenths of the law even then).

"Scepter of ... Annuminas" - interesting. Sort of goes with my theory that the Northern Dunedain revered Annuminas. I think the years of Arnor would definitely have been viewed as "The Glory Days" at the time of Arthedain. Witness their attempts to reclaim the other portions of Arnor when the line of Isildur died out in those kingdoms.

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!

Last edited by Valandil : 04-12-2006 at 08:46 AM.
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote