FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-01-2006, 09:16 PM   #17
Farimir Captain of Gondor
Spaceman Spiff

Location: In the belly of a Firefly, living in Serenity is where you'll find me
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAB
Let me suggest this. Maybe the Balrog was trying to build up a power base. It had to have known that Sauron’s power was growing. If it was going to stay free of Sauron and hold on to Moria it needed to get stronger in a military and intelligence type sense. It could do this by making allies in the area (Spirit of Caradhras, Watcher) and subjugating others (Wargs, Orcs, maybe some birds for information gathering purposes, the Spirit of Caradhras and the Watcher may also have been subjects rather than allies). I’m not saying that the Balrog was preparing to take over Middle Earth but rather was trying to hold on to it’s freedom and home.

I think if this was true, the Wargs could very easily be serving the Balrog. It was stated that there were wolves (probably Wargs) on Lorien’s boarders, probably very close to Moria. If the Balrog had control of the Redhorn Pass and Moria they had easy access to the east side of the mountains. Even though Gandalf refers to one as “Hound of Sauron” they may have recently switched allegiances to the Balrog during it's power grab. The Balrog is right next door while Sauron is hundreds of miles away. I don’t think these evil types are very loyal.

I’m not really sure what I think about the Balrog’s knowledge of the Ring. How would it know? Certainly Sauron and Saruman didn’t share their knowledge with it. On the other hand the company seems to be almost pushed into Moria. Why would an unknown bunch of travelers get this treatment?
To bad Gandolf didn't get a chance to interrogate the Balrog first. These theorys are great CAB.