Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-24-2006, 08:05 PM   #11
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

You've picked out one study that supports your position. I know there are more. Exodus International has said that most studies indicate a high degree of change through sexual orientation changing programs. While I don't know whether that's true, there are clearly a significant number of studies that claim differently, and making generalizations that they're all flawed is a little presumptuous.

It would take me a large amount of research to be able to form a truly educated opinion in the issue . I have my biases, and you yours, and we both have our personal experiences and statistics and data from different sources. Perhaps you're right that insufficient studies have been done on the issue; I don't know whether that's true or not. Bumping against the boundaries of one's own knowledge is a very, very irritating experience. One is forced to do a great deal of research, but being naturally lazy, is often disinclined to put forth all the effort.

About what you said regarding bisexuality, I agree that it should be taken into account in surveys. I don't know whether or not it is. But as the percentage of the population that is bisexual is even smaller than the percentage that is homosexual (according to the Gay & Lesbian Task Force), which is itself small, it seems unlikely that a significant proportion of the people entering a sexual orientation changing program are actually confused bisexuals.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insidious Rex
Well the problem is that theres not a lot of studies done on this field.
That is certainly possible, though I expect that there is a lot of good data out there that you and I just haven't read.

I think that there is a lot of prejudice from liberals against groups that attempt to help people change their sexual inclination, though I expect there also is bias in favor of those groups from many fundamentalists.
If the world has indeed, as I have said, been built of sorrow, it has been built by the hands of love, because in no other way could the soul of man, for whom the world was made, reach the full stature of its perfection.

~Oscar Wilde, written from prison

Oscar Wilde's last words: "Either the wallpaper goes, or I do."
Lief Erikson is offline   Reply With Quote