Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > RPG Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-13-2006, 07:28 PM   #11
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Rian, welcome back. You were missed very much!
Rian, Udu, great new posts!

Udu, am I right that Tatyana doesn't speak Westron? So the three nazgul spoke some eastern tongue?

Lotesse, very nice post - I have no objections to it.
I have edited Viv tears out. No problem at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotesse
It's just very important to me that this character of mine has a well-established emotional makeup, so that when she does and says certain things in the course of the story's progress, it will make sense. Her actions and her interior landscape have to synchronise, you know? And I know you must feel the same way about your Morgul Lord, which is why I am always so hesitant to write ANY dialogue or response for him. I am unsure of what his motivation is, emotionally - what his character is like, inside, you know? Like what made him happy or sad back when he was human, or what his parents were like, or his first true love, or what fills him with hatred, or what repulses him, etcetera etcetera etcetera. He's just this impassive steel blank wall, who only wants the Ring. What else makes him him? He is VERY hard to write for. Plus, YOU are very hard to write for! You're very exacting, and I always get worried that you will not like what I've written, you know? But at least I try!
Ohh, that is a difficult one...

Unlike Viv's, the Morgul lord's words and actions are rarely motivated by emotions, IMO. Mostly he calculates everything and chooses the best course of actions. I also don't think any of the nazgul had much insight into the ML's mortal life, emotional life I mean: he hardly told anybody about his first love. And that is very far behind now. What he is now is the result of 1500 years of service in Mordor as Sauron's chief lieutenant.
I don't think he would be moved by anyone's romantic love now, even if it could have been possible before.

As for the rest, his AU story for this game is in the Info. He was King of Numenor, the builder of ships, a traveller and a conqueror of new lands. He scorned his father' obsession with the Elves and Elven lore and made him abdicate earlier than the other intended.. He was married at least once, outlived his wife and children, as he ruled for 600 years (for himself and instead of his son). He was the first to question the Ban of the Valar and openly proclaim the Men's right to immortality. You are free to draw any conclusions you see fit from this info.

I think, to put it short and simple, he hates Elves, Valar, Eru - for the Ban and the Downfall; Sauron, Celebrimbor and other Mirdain - for their Ring-project, Amandil, Elendil and all their people - as traitors to the rightful King of Numenor. He has a very high opinion of himself and wants everyone to be unquestioningly obedient.
That is how I see it, in simplified format.

What do you, others, think? Udu? Lotesse? Any other ideas?