Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Silmarillion
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-30-2006, 01:51 PM   #1
Landroval
Elven Warrior

[EDIT:This thread has been split off from the 'Why have Merry and Pippin in the Fellowship'.]

Quote:
ME dwellers expendability
Hrm, I wonder what brought that idea to you - the valar clearly recognize the children of Eru as being the culmination of Creation.
Quote:
to serve the "common goods" as THEY understand them
That common good is pretty large, as stated in Osanwe kenta: "to retain all his subjects in the allegiance of Eru, or to bring them back to it, and in that allegiance to leave them free"
Quote:
because all human's feelings are alien to him
I disagree:
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Istari, Unfinished Tales
clad in bodies of as of Men, real and not feigned, but subject to the fears and pains and weariness of earth, able to hunger and thirst and be slain; though because of their noble spirits they did not die, and aged only by the cares and labours of many long years. And this the Valar did, desiring to amend the errors of old, especially that they had attempted to guard and seclude the Eldar by their own might and glory fully revealed; whereas now their emissaries were forbidden to reveal themselves in forms of majesty, or to seek to rule the wills of Men and Elves by open display of power, but coming in shapes weak and humble were bidden to advise and persuade Men and Elves to good, and to seek to unite in love and understanding all those whom Sauron, should he come again, would endeavour to dominate and corrupt
Quote:
Could you bring a couple of examples of his "selflessness"? Aside from Moria's incident.
For one, it was him who propose the would be suicide attack on Mordor, in which he would be a chief bait.

Last edited by Earniel : 02-07-2006 at 04:43 AM.
Landroval is offline   Reply With Quote