Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Entmoot Archive
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-22-2005, 07:05 PM   #13
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Engineering Building, around 8.30 AM, Tuesday

"Look, look at his ears!" Malaphel pushed Miriel and pointed at the King sitting in front of them. Valandil’s ears were slowly turning crimson. Miriel and the two other girls, two sisters, Loteniel and Lossoniel, giggled excitedly.

"He has swallowed the bite all right" whispered Miriel. They were very proud of the verses, a real masterpiece written by their mother, Lady Nimloth, who knew a lot of Elven lore.

The Chancellor, meanwhile, seemingly oblivious to giggles coming from the last row, was explaining something utterly boring and far beyond their understanding. A handsome dark young man with a thin oriental moustache, in the second row, turned his head and smiled at the girls appreciatively.

"Do you think King Val will come for lunch with us?" Malaphel asked worriedly. "There are nearly four hours before Commerce. We could invite him for lunch to our Palace…"

Miriel frowned "He will hardly come home with us, but why not go together someplace… perhaps to the Herring?"

"That will be cute!" cried Loteniel, the eldest of Elmir Phudd’s nieces. She had been worried that MM’s were going to lead the King away into their private grounds. The King was public property, and the chase was up!

----

The stench of human blood and sweat, mixed with strong floral perfumes, was overwhelming. The Chancellor would have stopped breathing entirely, had he not needed air to continue speaking. Moreover, his sensitive ears caught every whisper coming from the last row.

When the Morgul Lord finished his explanations, he was ready to turn the four giggling females into something VERY unnatural, now and then.

He wiped his hands, stained with chalk, smiled charmingly, and addressed the noisiest of the girls.

"Now, Lady Miriel, please, come forward to the blackboard and calculate the span of the bridge arch under these parameters."

Miriel paled, and opened her mouth like a fish taken out of the water. The others girls grew utterly silent.

"I am afraid I am not too good in maths…" admitted Miriel, blushing.

"That is one of the requirements of the course, Miriel," frowned the Chancellor. "Is anyone of you, young Ladies, able to answer my question?"

The girls were now quiet as mice. No one dared to raise her head to meet Ilmenzor’s gaze.

"I am grieved to tell you, Ladies, that I can’t accept you for the course. I don’t think that you should waste your time sitting here, instead of enjoying the nice weather outside. I bid you farewell, and hope to meet you on lighter occasions."

The girls filed out of the room, dejected. The dark-haired young man in the second row touched Lossoniel's hand as she passed, and winked at her reassuringly. Valandil noticed a hint of evil smile on the Chancellor’s lips, but it was gone almost as soon as it appeared. Now Ilmenzor turned to him and offered him the chalk.

"Now, your Highness, please, answer the question which proved so difficult for our charming maids."

Outside the Engineering building, the girls settled on a bench near the front door to intercept the King at the end of the lesson.

Last edited by Gordis : 01-05-2006 at 05:56 PM.