Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-21-2005, 04:27 PM   #29
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insidious Rex
So this misconception that christmas is somehow intertwined with the foundation of america is erroneous at best and out right deception at worst. Christmas is a relatively modern notion that has been evolving CONSTANTLY and never existed in static form for hundreds of years before just now when certain people seem to think weve turned from the good old days.
Christmas has been celebrated in America since our colonial days. http://www.history.org/Almanack/life/xmas/customs.cfm
Your point about the Puritans is rather irrelevant, as they were a very, very small Christian sect. They revelled in the fact that their numbers were so tiny, because the scripture says that many were going to hell and few would find the narrow door to heaven. They thought, kudos to us, we few have found the narrow door! Since they were such a minority, you would probably do better to drop that argument.

Santa Claus has nothing to do with current ideas of an "attack on Christmas". Christians aren't complaining about people attacking Santa Claus. Rather, there actually are a few Christian groups that are trying to get Santa Claus removed from society (Wrinkles his nose.

I know that Christmas has evolved over time. I have no problem with that, and I have no problem with the celebration continuing to evolve. What I have trouble with is the attempt made by some groups to sever us from some of the important roots of our culture, by removing religion from public places.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotesse
Very much out of line?? Oh, if there's a God then THANK GOD for the ACLU, who's credo is this: to preserve & protect
In answer to you, let me just quote Butterbeer. He put what I want to say quite well.

"You should to my mind be clear in a distinction between whatever good work this organisation may do elsewhere - and this particluar ATTACK on civil liberties, by those supposedly defending it in OUR name."
If the world has indeed, as I have said, been built of sorrow, it has been built by the hands of love, because in no other way could the soul of man, for whom the world was made, reach the full stature of its perfection.

~Oscar Wilde, written from prison

Oscar Wilde's last words: "Either the wallpaper goes, or I do."
Lief Erikson is offline   Reply With Quote