Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-02-2005, 02:03 AM   #11
Count Comfect
Word Santa Claus

Quote:
People already marry based on the substance of their brains. Children aren't allowed to marry because of the substance of their brains. One can't seriously believe they aren't allowed to marry because of the maturity of their sexual organs . It's because of their brains, their mental state, that we decide they aren't allowed to marry.
This is a completely different situation. Minors are allowed to marry in many states with parental consent; and besides, they are legally incompetent. As a minor, I can't even sign a contract without a parental cosignature. Are you saying that homosexuals are not competent to live their own lives? Because that is the only way you can compare their situation with children.

Each person is biologically different from each other person, in varying degrees. I do not believe that there is a legitimate justification for denial of liberty in the decision of who to spend your life with under legal protections in the claim that women and men are more different than two men. It cannot be child-bearing, as sterile people and women past menopause can marry; it cannot be a state vision of an appropriate relationship, because that relationship exists with or without the state. The only question is whether the state will grant the legal protections.
Quote:
For example, a divorce law that splits evenly the property of a married couple would wreak havoc on homosexual couples who might marry for a year or two and then split. I have seen much more promiscuity and sexually suggestive behavior among homosexuals and lesbians than amongst heterosexuals, and many other people I know have said the same. This is a commonly held view, and often held because of the evidence of experience. If there is really a far higher speed of separation among homosexuals than among heterosexuals, a different divorce law might be more appropriate for them, for their benefit as well as for heterosexual couples'.
Circa 50% of marriages in this country end in divorce, yet heterosexuals somehow manage to deal with divorce law. Most heterosexual relationships I know end in under 2 years: but most heterosexual relationships don't become marriage. Neither will most homosexual relationships. It is completely unfair and inaccurate to compare heterosexual marriage to homosexual relationships, because married couples are a self-selected group with a bias towards longer-lasting relationships.

Also, have you ever been to a good college party? You'll see enough sexually suggestive behaviour on the part of entirely heterosexual people there to put you in serious doubt that it is possible for homosexual people to do more.