Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Entmoot Archive
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-01-2005, 02:29 AM   #11
The last sane person
The Black Númenórean

His body was humming after the race, even though it was a few hours past, Ray was grinning from ear to ear, as he washed up and changed clothes. Yes, I do think things are going fine between Viv and me.... Even Volricom is happy! After the race, Raendil brought the stallion over to Orrodel along side Viv and Laslech. Volricom put it in no uncertain terms that he did NOT want to be separated after the race. Ray shrugged and gave in. He didn't want to part with his respective female either!

Heh.... Not that she is actually mine . He admonished himself. Yet, anyways.... Chimed in his heart. Yes, it was a good race...Great race! With that he grabbed his sketch pad and his satchel and dashed off to his first class. He checked his roster and noted where the building was located. He had plenty of time to get there, so he was content to walk and take in the morning scenery. He reached the class shortly before he was due and walked in to take a seat in the middle row.

In came the professor, Mahtaliel gave a nod in his direction, to which he stood up and bowed. "You are early, the rest of the students ought to be filing in a few moments." Ray grinned and bowed again, sitting next to the heater. It wasn’t really a classroom per say, more of a forge with chairs scattered about and workbenches pulled up to a chalkboard. All these would be pushed back when it was time to actually use the forge and make jewelry.

True to the professor's words, the rest of the small class wandered into the room. Lo and Behold! Whom did Raendil see? None other than Viniglaen walk through that door, face flushed and head down. This day just keeps getting better... Something caught Viv's notice and she looked up from her seat and catching his eyes, giving a sly smile. Mahtaliel turned around and greeted the class, surveying the small group of students before her.

“Welcome to the University of Tharbad, and welcome to my class where you will be learning one of the beautiful skills we have to offer. That is the design and creation of jewelry. This is not one of the easier classes; mind you, but one of the most rewarding should you decide to stick with it.” She paused and again took a good look at the faces of her students, and found those that were truly attentive. She knew who would stay and who would leave. She went on to describe that which was needed in the class, what supplies would be provided and ought to be purchased, and Raendil *was * listening. Or at least, most of him was. The part of him that wasn’t was busy sneaking glances across the room at Viv.

She was listening to the teacher and writing notes on her little tablet, occasionally tucking an unruly lock of dark, bouncy hair behind her ear. His breath caught. The room was not dim, but by no means bright. The brightness of the sun filtering into the room was being dulled by the red glow of the forges, which cast a warm, hazy light about the class. It made Viniglaen look resplendent. This is beyond my words…somehow I think I will have more trouble focusing on just the class work here. Little did he know that Viv was thinking the same of him; he who was sitting close to the shadows nearer the forge.

The light played and bounced off of him, merrily dancing about his already dark features, giving them a range of colors and shades, from gold to blooded red, giving dramatic contrast between the illuminated and shaded parts of him. It was her turn to have her breath caught, as she snuck a glance over his way. He was listening with keen intent to Mahtaliel describing the different pieces they would be required to make as the quarter progressed, and should they take a liking to any one piece, they could keep it.

She saw the way the forge fire played on him and in his eyes, thinking, Wasn’t Feanor described thus? As one whom fire would leap about and play upon? A creature of fire.

Fire. Dimly her mind registered the longstanding Nazgul fear of fire. Sauron. She quickly diverted her eyes back to Mahtaliel, not so much out of fear, for she wasn’t as fearful as her fellows nor her nature so perverted. Stop, you silly woman, he is not in any way, shape or form like either of those two beings! Stop that! The teacher gave the first requirement out to the class, “I’d like you all to start drawing up your designs and concept sketches for the first piece, the bracelet. Have that ready and also the list of possible materials you would like to use for it. Class dismissed.”

Viv’s head was still trying to clear as Raendil bounded from his corner and made his way to her seat. “I wasn’t expecting to see you here, I see horse racing, dancing and mischief aren’t the only thing we have in common.” She looked up in surprise as she found Raendil standing right behind her, smiling at her. His skin still had an orangey-bronze color to it, but at least his eyes don’t look aflame. Less like some demigod of fire. “So it would seem Master Raendil.” They were not yet out of earshot of their classmates, and quickly exited the building. “Have you been working with forges long, Ray?” They dropped the formalities once they were out of the way of other students.

“Yes, actually, in my father’s thanedom, we are nearer to danger, and fighting is often. When I wasn’t at my lessons, or with my father’s warriors, I was in the smithy repairing and creating armor and weapons. But I wished to broaden my horizons, so to speak, and make things of beauty, not just of war. So I took up jewelry making, but it had always been a hobby of mine.” They were still nearer the administration buildings and loitering around, unsure exactly what the other was doing after class. “Uhm, what’s your schedule? Do you have anything after this class?” She reached around and tugged his schedule from his bag and looked at it for a bit, then grinned impishly up at him. “Care to do lunch? We are out pretty early and all. What’s a good place to go and eat?”

Is it just my eyes then? Oh, calm down you ninny! He is a mortal. Just a mortal… a statement to which her heart replied with a sharp pang, for she thought she still saw traces of that fire playfully hiding here and there.

“I’d love to…and the places I know are probably crowded these first days. I have a better Idea. Care for a picnic?” He grinned and she nodded her head. And they went off to gather what they would want.

`````````

Viniglaen laughed and uncorked a bottle of wine she had picked up on their way to the art museum’s grounds, they were seated on a blanket with food and drink about them. “How does it taste milady? Is it worthy of our palates?” Viv grinned and poured herself a small taste into her cup, and smelled then tasted it. She nodded her head in approval and was about to say exactly what the wine was. Before she could say anything, Raendil propped himself up and gave a small smile, forestalling her words.

“Wait, let me find out for myself.” With that he leaned over before either he of Viv could stop him and brushed a small feather light kiss across her lips. That dumbfounded them both.

Sweet Eru! What did I just do?

Dear lords! Did he just kiss me?

Without allowing himself to linger, Ray leaned back to his original position beside a tree trunk. He fully expected a slap, but as that didn’t come, he recovered the situation. He and Viniglaen traded smiles

“Linhir Red '34.”

“Huh? What?” That broke the pause and they both returned to the present.

“The wine, is it not? Smooth flavor, excellent aroma, somewhat more mellow. Linhir Red ’34.” He grinned and added, “Delicious.”

“Oh! Yes, actually it was. It’s over all one of the most delicious wines for lunches.”

“Oh, yeah, the wine was okay, I was talking about you though.” Raendil couldn’t help himself and Viv blushed slightly. “Your pretty good at wine tasting. Is that how they try new wines where you come from?” She retorted.

“I Wish.” They both started laughing.

OOC: Still aint finished, dern it!
And though they are with you yet they belong not to you.
You may give them your love but not your thoughts,
For they have their own thoughts.
You may house their bodies but not their souls,
For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow,
which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.

Last edited by The last sane person : 12-04-2005 at 08:01 PM.